Date: February 16, 2021
About MetroLab Network
MetroLab is a collaborative of cities and universities focused on advancing data and technology innovation in their communities. MetroLab is a DC-based non-profit that operates in a dynamic ecosystem of federal, philanthropic, and industry stakeholders.
Who We Are Looking For
We’re looking for a team member to complement and grow our collective expertise. The ideal candidate is interested in envisioning the future of cities–and the civic research and innovation activities that will help us get there. They would have a strong interest in documenting, telling, and sharing the stories of what strong civic research partnerships can do for local neighbors and residents. In this sense, they would bring experience in communications, including social media, digital campaigns, and media partnerships. The ideal candidate would be a strong writer and communicator. They would also be an organized, detail-oriented, and creative professional who would thrive on a small, entrepreneurial team. Additional skills the ideal candidate might bring: member and stakeholder engagement; event and workshop planning; grant-writing and fundraising; and/or design.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead MetroLab’s media suite, including website content, social media, online newsletter, and published materials on outside platforms, including:
- Outreach and content development for media partnership programs, including stewardship of MetroLab’s Innovation of the Month series with GovTech,
- Daily social media stewardship and content creation (inclusive of Twitter and LinkedIn),
- Management of email campaigns to members and outside stakeholders, and
- Creation and alignment of program and event-focused communications, such as press and media releases.
- Support of the MetroLab annual summit and its associated outreach efforts
- Communications and engagement with MetroLab’s members community of 30+ universities and 30+ local governments in the US, UK, and Canada
- Manage communications aspects associated with MetroLab’s events, including conferences, workshops, and panels.
- Preparation of briefing materials, presentations, written remarks, talking points, and agendas.
- Support in fundraising activities, including contributions to grants and fundraising proposals.
- General support for projects and activities that emerge as priorities for the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training or educational experiences; academic and/or personal interest in public policy, urban planning, urban studies, research or government communications, or other relevant fields.
- 2+ years of experience in strategic communications, policy development, local government, academic research, project management, and/or other relevant experience.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience managing communications activities, inclusive of social media accounts, newsletters, press and media releases, and media partnership management
- Experience with various software, web, and social media platforms, including Microsoft and Google Suites, WordPress, Mailchimp, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Experience in relationship management and stakeholder engagement.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience or interest in grant-writing and proposal development.
- Experience or interest in planning events and workshops.
Virtual and/or Washington DC. The employee will be remote until public health conditions improve; thereafter, the employee can continue to work remote or work out of MetroLab’s offices in downtown Washington DC.
You must be authorized to work in the United States.
Compensation and Benefits
The position offers a competitive non-profit salary for Washington, DC. Salary levels are dependent on a candidate’s experience. Position includes paid-time off, employer-sponsored health care, dental, and retirement account.
How to Apply
Send a resume, cover letter, and work samples (e.g., social media accounts managed, articles written, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org; applications will be considered on a rolling basis.