8:30 AM – Registration, Light Breakfast
9:15 AM – Welcome Remarks
9:45 AM – Civic Leadership, Technology and Urban Innovation
– Mayor Ras Baraka, City of Newark
– Mayor Andy Berke, City of Chattanooga
– Mayor Bill Peduto, City of Pittsburgh
– Moderated by: Governor Martin O’Malley, 61st Governor of Maryland and 47th Mayor of Baltimore
10:30 AM – Break
10:45 AM – Panel Discussion: Technology for Civic Data Integration
This panel will introduce a new paper published by MetroLab, Actionable Intelligence for Social Policy, and National Neighborhood Indicators Partnership focused on how governments are building integrated data systems from a technology perspective.
11:30 AM – Panel Discussion: Using Data to Understand People & Place
This panel will explore how data, mapping, visualization, and prediction are helping cities understand their residents, neighborhoods, and communities.
12: 15 PM – Morning Wrap-Up
- 12:20 PM – Lunch
1:15 PM – Breakout Sessions
– How Data Use Varies Across Sectors
– Commercializing Research to Solve Urban Challenges at Scale
– Mapping for Air Quality Impact
2:15 PM – Break
2:45 PM – R&D Showcase Breakout Sessions
– Civic Data
– Housing & Health
– Mobility & Urban Space Systems
– Civic Research Networks
- 3:45 PM – Transition to Plenary
3:50 PM – Welcome from MetroLab Board
4:00 PM – Panel Discussion: Are Smart Cities Utopian or Dystopian?
This panel will explore smart cities from an ethical, philosophical, and design perspectives. It will address issues associated with data privacy, including who owns data generated by smart cities deployments and how are they monetized. It will explore the ethics of new predictive tools. It will explore the balance of spontaneity and planning, and test the notion that cities ought to be systematized at all.
- 4:45 PM – Smart Tech Newark: The Rise of an Innovative Urban Tech Hub
The city of Newark is making a broad range of investments to accelerate its growth as a tech-hub destination. From real estate to fiber infrastructure, Newark, its anchor institutions and leading corporate partners are aligning the city’s assets to attract a community of entrepreneurs focused on the challenges common to urban life.
- 5:30 PM – Closing Remarks
5:35 PM – Program Concludes
- 6:00 PM – Newark Walking Tour: Past and Present- including demo of Newark’s new Smart Cities Deployments (Optional)
Will depart from the Hotel Indigo Lobby and proceed to the reception at the Newark Museum
- 6:30 PM – Reception at Newark Museum
- 9:00 PM – Reception Concludes